Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sugar-Free Oatmeal Banana Muffins





At my house, we love muffins!! Recently, I've been hunting for tasty sugar-free muffin recipes, and I found one that I've adapted here from the Spokane Dinner Club. Why sugar free? None of us need the sugar in our muffins, especially my little one. Additionally, several of our friends and family members have been dealing with candida (yeast infection in the mouth/throat) which is spurred by sugar, so I want to cook stuff they can eat, plus cook food that isn't going to encourage this condition in myself or my family. These muffins are delicious, even without sugar! My picky little 20 month-old loves them!!


Ingredients
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups of plain Greek or regular yogurt (many regular yogurts have added sugar, but Mountain High brand doesn't, so look for that to avoid sugar)
  • 1 cup of honey
  • 3 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 6 cups of oats (regular or quick)
  • Optional: 1 cup of chopped walnuts, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. (Not all of these, just one)
TIP: When your bananas are over-ripe, put them in the freezer to use later for muffins and breads. Over-ripe bananas are the best for baking!! (Thanks to my mom for that tip!)

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Grease 2 muffin pans.
    - Do NOT use paper liners for these muffins because a quarter of the muffin will stick to the paper. I ended up getting a silicone muffin pan because I want to make these a lot and regular muffin pans leave the edges of the pan crispy, which is fine if you don't mind it.
    - The recipe I adapted from the Spokane Dinner Club shows rations for only 12 muffins if you don't want so many.
  3. Mix together the bananas, yogurt, and honey until well-mixed.
  4. Mix in the baking soda and powder.
  5. Add the oatmeal slowly. I would leave the mixer running and pour in about a half cup at a time, let it get mixed, and pour the next bit.
  6. If desired, mix in 1 cup of whatever you choose on low.
  7. Fill muffin cups almost to the top (see below). I found it easiest to fill using an ice cream scooper.
 
8.  Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Are you trying to avoid something in your diet? Do you have a healthy and tasty recipe to share? Try baking these muffins and let us know what you think! Share, like, pin, and comment on this post if you like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment