Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Laundry Room Series: Natural Stain Remover

photo credit
As I shared in my previous post on detergent, what I cleaned my clothes with was a huge concern for me after beginning to switch to natural alternatives. Detergent was one of the first to change. Last year, I discovered a wonderful natural stain remover, too, that I've put to use often with my active little man. So far, it has removed:
  • Grass stains
  • Blood stains
  • Puke stains
What IS this amazing stain remover? One of the most simple answers on the planet...

PURE OXYGEN!!! Unscented, no additives, 100% pure oxygen powder. It can be used to:
  • Remove stains
  • Whiten your whites (no bleach necessary)
  • Brighten colors
  • Kill germs (e.g., help strip cloth diapers)
That's just OxiClean, right? NOPE!! OxiClean only makes one product that's close to pure oxygen, and that's their baby stain remover, but, in addition to oxygen, it also has washing soda in it. Thus, it won't be as strong at stain-fighting, brightening, and germ-killing as the pure stuff. All the other OxiClean products (link to EWG database) have nasty additives in them that earned them mostly "C" and "F" ratings from the EWG.

Where can I get it?
photo credit
I recommend Crunchy Clean! It's a family-owned business that's ran at their home. They're dedicated to bringing you natural and pure products. They sell household cleaning products and laundry items, including detergents for hard water, custom-scented products, and more! You can get their pure oxygen in several sizes:
Currently, Crunchy Clean is running a promotion on their shipping: FREE shipping on orders over $25!! Act fast!! I'm not sure how long this will last, but hopefully through the weekend as this just went up today. They have excellent detergents and other products, so just stock up!

How do I use it?
As this is a powder, it's different than using a spray-on stain-fighter like Shout, as I used to. What I've done that's been successful is:
  1. Fill a small tub with just enough water to wet the entire garment.
  2. Add a tablespoon (a typical laundry scoop size) to the water and swish it around in the water. 
  3. Add the stained garment.
  4. If the stain is particularly bad (i.e., grass or blood), rub a little of the powder on the stained area.
  5. Soak overnight.
  6. If the clothing still appears to be very stained, use a small brush/toothbrush to scrub the stained area with the powder. If the stain is still present, but considerably lighter, it will probably wash out in the washing machine.
  7. Wash!! 
This process works perfectly every time for me!! If you didn't see my previous post, check out what I wrote about Laundry Detergent, and stay tuned for my next laundry room post next week!! I'm also working on a Father's Day post with fun, natural gift ideas!! Hopefully I can get that out on Friday.

What do you use to remove stains on your clothing? Have you ever tried this? Are you considering a purchase from Crunchy Clean? What will you get?

No comments:

Post a Comment