Monday, May 19, 2014

Kitchen Cleaner Series: No Ants, No Harsh Chemicals

photo credit
The weather is ripening for ant infestation, isn't it? About a month ago, right in the middle of a few hot days, we noticed some ants on our kitchen counter. It took me a couple days to figure out where they were coming from since there was no distinct trail. There's a gap between the floor and the wall behind our stove, which was letting in ants and spiders (lovely!). We still haven't put molding back there; since I was able to get the ants to go away, we haven't thought about it, so it's on the to-do list. I have heard of MANY ways to get rid of ants and other bugs naturally, which I definitely wanted to do in the kitchen. I'm not concerned about roach bait motels in the garage, but in the house, I'm trying to use natural pesticides.

First, I tried mixing 25 or more drops of peppermint essential oil with water into a small glass spray bottle. Peppermint is supposed to mask their scent so they can't follow their trail and keep them away. I sprayed it at the entry point of the ants and along the edges of the counter and floor. It was unsuccessful for me. Next, I tried borax mixed into a little honey on a paper plate. My mother-in-law has used this for years with great success, and it's highly recommended on the internet. This attracted the ants and they were gone, but only for about 24 hours. They began appearing on the counters again, wandering aimlessly. So I searched for other options.

Lots of natural bloggers are talking about this issue now, like Mommypotamus's post: 7 Ways to Get Rid of Ants Naturally that she published about a week after I got rid of my ants. She talks about several essential oils, including peppermint, among other things. Apparently, the peppermint alone wasn't enough for the ants at my house. From her post, it seems it may best if combined with other things, too. Anyways, I found my solution when I watched Mommy Greenest appear on the local news channel for Earth Day. She suggested using red pepper flakes at the entry point of the ants. She also talks about how to get rid of fruit flies and make a few different easy cleaners in the video.

How to Use Red Pepper Flakes to Get Rid of Ants
To do this, you'll need to remove the sprinkle top on your red paper flakes, so you can basically pour them out. Put a layer of red pepper flakes at the entry point. If, like in my case, the ants are coming out of the wall, sweep the flakes into the wall crack or stick them in there somehow. I actually ended up knocking my bottle of red pepper flakes off the counter and it broke on the floor, so I had A LOT of flakes to sweep into the wall!! I didn't see anymore ants, and haven't since then, within a couple hours!! Apparently, ants don't like the taste or smell of the flakes, so it sends them packing.

Now, I just need a natural solution for spiders!! Anyone have any suggestions? What do you use to rid your home of pests? What have you tried without success? (We don't want to try something that doesn't work, right?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment