Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cloth Diapering 101

This coming Saturday is the Great Cloth Diaper Change event where parents around the world will attempt to set a new world record for the most cloth diapers changed at one time.  Leading up to this event is a blog hop started by The Eco Chic (see button to the right), which I decided to join today since this blog is partially about cloth diapering.  I will resume my once-a-week blogging next week with a post on reusable shopping bags, as previously promised.  Today I decided to address Monday's topic since I didn't write about it yet.

As I mentioned before, I'm expecting my first baby in a few months, so I can't offer much advice about how to cloth diaper.  However, I can offer up the advice I've gotten from others about what you need.  Here's my growing list:
  1. Diapers (obviously): 20-24 seems to be the consensus among CD users I know.  There are all sorts of different kinds, but I plan to use mostly covers with inserts by GroVia, BonniBuns, and Thirsties (because they make a small size to fit newborns).  I also plan to have a few FuzziBunz* pocket diapers to help along the nursery workers at church and my parents with this new challenge of cloth diapering.
*Correction: I'm now planning to get Booty Buns pocket diapers because they truly will fit a newborn.  This company is also a stay at home mom business that's conveniently located near me so I can pick up the diapers from her instead of pay for shipping.  Additionally, she donates one cloth diaper for each sold and provides two inserts and a cloth wipe with each diaper purchased. 

2. Two or more wet bags: I've heard high ratings for PlanetWise wet bags, so that's what I plan to use.  PlanetWise makes tons of different sizes, plus a wet/dry bag that includes two pockets--one for the used diapers and one for unused dipes and other diapering necessities.  I'm planning to use this bag and the backpack they're making that's similar as diaper bags and then having some plain ol' large bags for the downstairs part of the house or traveling.

3. Pail liner: Two pail liners is a good idea because then you always have one available while one is being washed.  I've registered for pail liners by PlanetWise, but I've also heard good things about pail liners by Blueberry.

4. Detergent: I spent tons of time researching detergents, not wanting to spend an exorbitant amount of money on washing (20+ cents/load) but, of course, wanting the best for my CDs.  I settled on the unscented hard water version of cloth diaper detergent from Crunchy Clean.  I split an order with a friend of mine so we qualified for free shipping.  I also plan to try out their pure oxygen cleaner and other cleaning products in the future. I decided to go with Crunchy Clean because of price and my extremely hard water situation, mainly.

5. Drying rack and clothespins: It's best to try air drying cloth diapers as much as possible from what I've heard and read, plus drying them in the sun gets rid of stains and helps sanitize them.
That's all I'm aware of for now!  There are lots of other great accessories that you may want, like a diaper sprayer, but aren't so necessary.  You can check out my Amazon registry and registry at Grow Natural (an Orange County baby boutique) if you're interested in all of the diapering accessories I've registered for or something specific.  Today's topic for the blog hop is saving money with cloth diapers, which I already wrote about last week, so you can check that out in the archives if you missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment