Friday, September 19, 2014

My Picky Eater: A Reflection After One Month of Experimenting

My picky eater enjoying chips and salsa for his birthday
My picky eater primarily enjoys three types of foods: crunchy, mushy, and dips. This means that veggies, fruit, and meat weren't usually eaten by him, so he ate snack-type foods and baby food. But he's two, so we decided he needed to pushed into real table foods instead of gently introduced to them. It's been about a month since we started this adventure in transforming our picky eater, and we had about two weeks that went a little downhill because he was sick and my mom was visiting, so things weren't exactly normal. However, we actually have made great progress, but I'm beginning to feel stumped about what to try next.
 
New Foods
  • Bacon and eggs in oatmeal
  • Cashews, crumbled up
  • ALL the dried berries and pumpkin seeds in the Costco Antioxidant Organic Berry mix bag
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Broccoli (yes! with peanut butter)
  • Carrots (He ate this before but he's eating it consistently again)
He has also tried A LOT of foods and chose not to eat them. He has tried green bell peppers several times, and one time continued eating them, but hasn't eaten them consistently. He has tried a lot of berries and other fruit, but, like me, hasn't liked them. As you can see from the list above, he is still preferring crunchy and mushy foods, and loves dipping everything listed above (with the exception of oatmeal) in peanut butter. Peanut butter is our best friend. He gets a few globs at lunch, and often some with dinner, too.

A Few Learnings
A couple days ago someone mentioned that the portion sizes I gave my picky eater seemed too big, so I cut way back, and it's encouraged him to eat more of what's on his plate! I'm also trying to put fewer items on his plate, both of these things in hopes to make him feel less overwhelmed.

I try not to put too many things on his plate that he doesn't like in one sitting. Sometimes I still go overboard with non-preferred foods though, but I need to limit them to 1-2 per meal, alongside 2 or more things he does like.

We taught him to say "all done" when he seemed to be finished eating in the first few weeks of this experiment, and now he's starting to say it on his own, so we excuse him from the table. I think this is great for him because it doesn't keep him at the table forever while we hope he plays with his food or tries it. It empowers him to choose when he's done. And since he's on a strict eating routine, he knows he's not going to get food again for a few hours.

Suggestions?
I LOVE summer veggies, like squashes, but no matter how many times I put them on my picky eater's plate, he won't try them. How can I get him to eat them without having to completely cook or fix them differently? He also seems to enjoy spicy flavors. The only way he eats ground meat is if it's cooked with taco seasoning or something similar. He enjoys salsa and spicy black bean hummus (which has jalapenos in it). How can I incorporate spicy flavors for him without making every meal spicy? I'm not a huge fan of spicy hot flavors myself, even though I was born and raised in San Diego. I like spicy if it's flavorful, but not hot. 

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried mushy soups? Thick all veggie split pea was a big one for my kids. Cottage cheese and applesauce is another toddler favorite. Both those are dippable. : )

    ReplyDelete