Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Laundry Room Series: Detailing Your Dryer

http://www.cleanandscentsible.com/2013/09/how-to-clean-your-dryer.htmlI know your "spring cleaning" chores are over since we're heading into sunny summer days packed with fun and vacations, but if you're going to be drying a bunch of towels from your long pool days in your dryer, then listen up!
 
Dryer fires accounted for 16,800 home fires in the U.S. in 2010, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Also, they say "the leading cause of clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them." Detailing your dryer can also increase your dryer's efficiency. Duh?! If we clean out all the built up lint and gunk, our dryers will work better! I took the challenge myself last night with the used dryer we've had for about 10 months.

I followed the instructions from the Clean & Scentsible post: How to Clean Your Dryer, so I'm not going to give you the step-by-step process here since the other post does that; however, I'm going to provide you with a list of things you'll need for detailing your dryer, which she didn't include. Here's what you'll need for detailing your dryer:
  • 30+ minutes (It took me about 30 minutes)
  • Vacuum with hose and skinny extension
  • Rag(s), I recommend microfiber because it traps lint well
  • White vinegar, preferably in a spray bottle
  • Bucket or small wash tub filled with warm water and a bit of dish soap
  • Screwdriver that corresponds with the screws around your lint trap
  • A willing child with small hands could also be helpful
After 10 months of use at my house, here are some photos from my dryer detailing:
Under the dryer: doesn't look too bad yet
Under the top layer of the lint trap--eek!!
My dirty lint trap and what I pulled out with it

Wow! Partially done with build up on the door--gross!
Additional lint I collected after vacuuming

WHEW! That was gross, but after making my knuckles bleed a bit and getting rather dirty, I feel better!! Here are some additional Dryer Safety Tips from the National Fire Protection Association. If detailing your dryer wasn't part of your spring cleaning list, then you might want to take care of that ASAP. If we can dramatically decrease the chance of dryer fires with 30 minutes of cleaning, then why not? If you live somewhere with a shared dryer (e.g., an apartment), then you might suggest to your managers having the washers and dryers serviced by a mechanic if you notice some build up and give them the facts about the fires. Have you ever cleaned your dryer? How long has it been since you cleaned yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment